A historical retrospective view
on the development and foundation of the first school youth hostel of Germany in Jöhstadt/Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains)
Already before 1914, pupils and teachers of the former Staatsrealgymnasium Annaberg, who were interested in the nature, used a deserted farmhouse at the foot of the mountain Bärenstein as "Landheim der Wandervögel" ("Country home for birds of passage").
Unfortunately, the building was destroyed by a fire.
One began looking for a new building. Both teachers and parents of those pupils took part. Their goal was to find a building which should be able to accommodate as many pupils as possible from one school at one time.
On 25th October 1922 the association "Bund der Eltern und Freunde des Annaberger Staatsrealgymnasiums e.V." finally bought the old clubhouse near Jöhstadt.
By the devotion of parents, teachers and former pupils, and by donations of private people both the interior fittings could be bought and the building slightly reconstructed.
The first school youth hostel of Germany, according to the visions and ideals of Dr. Nicolai from Buchholz, who is said to be the pioneer of the development of school youth hostels, which combine school, education, leisure activities and recovery, was founded.
In the beginning, the hostel was only used during weekends and holidays, but later on many schools went there for several weeks during the whole year.
During the first 5 years 39,000 accommodations were listed in the hostel.
The hostel got its first own water pipe in 1927. A big reconstruction took place in 1929, where the whole style of the building was adjusted to the typical local style of the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains).
During the final years of World War 2, the hostel was renamed into "KLV-Lager Jöhstadt, Schullandheim der Anton-Günther-Oberschule Annaberg". The director, his family and the pupils came from Düsseldorf-Benrath. (KLV-Lager = children-countryside-deportation; pupils were deported from the cities to the countryside as protective measure from air attacks by the allies during the last phase of the war.)
After the foundation of the GDR the hostel became the youth hostel "Bruno Kühn".
Between 1957 and 1989 Herbert Siegert, known as "Strampel" or "Federvieh" ("poultry") in the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains), was the head of this youth hostel. Due to his extraordinary organising ability and his incomparable humour he could manage to offer his guests a sophisticated stay - even during barren GDR times.
The today's constructions mainly go back to the large building measures in 1964.
In the beginning of the 70s, one could manage to create small guestrooms in the attic, which was unused until then, by the help of frequenters of the football club "Einheit Brandenburger Tor" of Berlin.
In 1990 the youth hostel was again renamed into "Schullandheim Jöhstadt".
In 1993, the town Jöhstadt as owner realised essential modernisations like the fitting of new windows and doors as well as the restoration of several floors on the upper floors. At the same time, the kitchen and its facilities were renovated according to the demanded instructions.
Until 1997, the school youth hostel was run by the town Jöhstadt. From then, family Barthel have been running this hostel as tenants.
A large modernisation of sanitation facilities, by keeping the typical style of a school youth hostel, took place in 2007.